Thursday 31 December 2015

Jinglefaux, 28.12.15, 50SS fixed faction event - Round 2

Report: Jinglefaux - 28.12.2015, 50SS fixed faction event

Round 2

In Round 2 we all played Christmas Party scenario (using the Shindig story encounter and Interference rules with the Forbidden Text terrain to represent some Christmas Stories!).

I don't think any of us played Shindig before so we expect a lot of fun from this scenario especially when the scheme pool kind of favor hitting and killing enemy models :D

Note: As mentioned in the report from Round 1, we agreed that it is not allowed to Obey enemy model to make an attack on one of yours to allow you get +2VP from Shindig special rule.

Deployment: Standard Deployment
Strategy: Christmas Party
Schemes: ALITS, Assassinate, Protect Territory, Vendetta, Deliver a Message

Second pairing set me up against our new Malifaux player, Steven, who decided to use his Misaki for the second time in his life.

Misaki (4SS pool) - Stalking Bisento
Ototo - Smoke & Shadows
Johana
Bishop
Hodgepodge Effigy
2x Torakage
Shang

I brought:
Jack Daw (5SS pool) - Writhing Torment, Twist and Turn, Oathkeeper,  Drowning Injustice, Firirng Squad Injustice
(Curse-giver and reasonably good hitter who also supports his Tormented crew)
Rusty - From the Aether
(very mobile heavy hitter/shooter; Abomination summoning without need of hitting enemy models)
Johana
(heavy hitter and condition removal)
Ronin
(scheme runner)
The Guilty
(model which allows grant Tormented to other models; scheme runner)
2x Void Wretches
(scheme runners)
Nurse
(general support thanks to Take Your Meds action)

We both picked and revealed same schemes: Protect Territory and Deliver a Message.

Seeing Steven's crew my first thought was that he won't give a damn about giving me free 2VP and he will proceed to killing my stuff straight away, but I was wrong :D
I also made a huge mistake as I forgot to read Deliver a Message properly - Jack can't complete this scheme as it must be non-leader, non-peon model. If I read it correctly, I would put Oathkeeper on Rusty and Jack would get third Curse upgrade.

Deployment (Misaki deployed first):


Note: Jack's crew is at the bottom of the photo.

Turn 1
Initiative: Jack Daw

Key moments/action:
- we both spread out our crews and pushed slightly forward. Johana and Rusty were made Tormented
- Rusty started dropping scheme markers and scrap markers.
- neither of us was eager to attack opponent and damage his model :D



Upkeep phase:
No VPs scored by either side

Score after turn 1: Jack Daw  0 - Misaki 0

Turn 2:
Initiative: Misaki

- as we were reluctant to make a first strike on each other we decided to simple engage enemy models as best as we could in effort to negate opponent VP for strategy. I was able to fulfill this task better as Jack's late turn sneaky activation allowed me to move Guilty into engagement range with Bishop and Johana, when in the same time Jack jumped onto enemy table quarter and equal the model count with my opponent.
- Nurse paralyzed Bishop and Torakage with her meds
- Jack's crew dropped more scheme markers and Rusty summoned Abomination
- Steven tried to snatch Jack and Deliver a Message but Jack was way to mobile to get tarpit


Upkeep phase:
Jack Daw: +1VP Strategy

Score after turn 2: Jack Daw 1 - Misaki 0

Turn 3:
Initiative: Jack Daw

- Guilty took Shindig's special action to trigger 12TN  horror tests on Bishop, Johana and Hodgepodge Effigy draining Steven's control hand (Hodgepodge was paralyzed)
- Nurse Paralyzed Johana
- Ototo engaged Ronin (who was on 2x Defensive Stance since turn and then throughout whole game) but Johana and Rusty disengaged successfully
- Rusty started a chase after Misaki

Generally I was surprised that Steven didn't start to attack me at this turn as I was negating him a points for Strategy quite efficiently.


Upkeep phase:
Jack Daw: +1VP Strategy

Score after turn 3: Jack Daw 2 - Misaki 0

Turn 4:
Initiative: Jack Daw

- Steven tried to get some points for Strategy but again either I disengaged my models or I was able to tarpit his, when at the same time securing my table quarters. He also dropped two scheme markers for Protect Territory.
- At the end of this turn I had 4 scheme markers for the Protect Territory scheme. Also Rusty summoned another Abomination and she successfully engaged (together with Jack Daw) Misaki.
- Again no blows were traded between us :D



Upkeep phase:
Jack Daw: +1VP Strategy

Score after turn 4: Jack Daw 3 - Misaki 0

Turn 5
Initiative: Jack Daw (after spending soulstone for re-flip).

- Rusty took an opportunity and activating first she delivered a message to Misaki
- thanks to my sneaky movements I denied Steven a VP for Strategy again on this turn
- I flipped for Turn 6 - Red Joker, but we decided to stop at this point.


Upkeep phase:
Jack Daw: +1VP Strategy, +3VP Deliver a Message, +3VP Protect Territory
Misaki: +3VP Protect Territory

Final score: Jack Daw 10 - Misaki 3

I think Steven should start attacking me at the beginning of Turn 3 so he could have a chance denying me some VPs for Strategy, but I was happy we played 'a friendly encounter' till the end of the game.

With both games ended with max out VPs I was classified at the first place and I was awarded with nice chocolate Santa (which was later claimed by my daughters :D).

Big thanks to Owen for organizing the event and to my opponents for enjoyable games.

Till next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment