Tuesday 23 June 2015

50SS Tournament Q-con, Belfast - 20.06.2015

I had great pleasure to take a part in the 50SS tournament which was held during Q-con convention in Belfast last Saturday. Till the last couple days before I thought I won't go but thanks to the chain of fortunate events (my wife called off her meetings that Saturday, a friend offered a lift from Dublin to Belfast and back) my little dream came true. Of course there had to be a draw back of some kind as usual so I came on the tournament sick with my head pounding and running nose (hello summer cold! :D).


The Deployment, Strategies and Schemes were known beforehand:
Game 1- flank deployment - interference- lits, protect territory, bodyguard , power ritual , distract.
Game 2 - standard deployment - collect the bounty- lits, assassinate , murder protege, entourage , distract.
Game 3 - close deployment - guard the stash- lits, bodyguard, assassinate, murder protege, outflank
Game 4 - corner deployment - squatter's right - lits, breakthrough, plant evidence, distract, outflank


It was fixed faction tournament so obviously I picked my beloved Outcasts. I didn't have much time to prepare myself for the tournament and I decided to field Levy in all 4 games.

Round 1

My opponent was... Mike with his Seamus (bad things happen in Malifaux... :D)
Seamus - Corpse Bloat, Sinister Reputation, Spare Parts - 7SS pool
Copycat Killer
2x Rotten Belle
Chiaki the Niece
3x Night Terror
Nurse
Bete Noire

Schemes: Protect Territory (revelead), Bodyguard (Chiaki)

I took:
Levy - Desolate Soul, Tally Sheet, To the Earth Return - 3SS pool
Rusty Alyce
2x Hollow Waif
Freikorps Librarian
Hannah
Hodgepodge Effigy
Johana
2x Void Wretch

Schemes: Power Ritual (revealed), Bodyguard (Johana)

Table:


And crews deployment:



Few highlights from the game:

- Seamus on turn 1 used extended Back Alley, focused and killed Librarian... I was devastated at the very start of the game. Of course this allowed to pop-out Bete and she charged Johana paralyzing her (thankfully inflicting only 2 wounds in total).


- Void Wretch damaged Bete and made her bury, then second Void Wretch killed this pesky thing with one attack. Same turn Levy killed Copycat summoning Abomination in his place. This allowed me to push off Ressers a bit.


- Summoned Abomination and Hannah successfully tarpit Seamus. Then we were securing our table quarters to earn Strategy VP's steadily and we dropped scheme markers for our announced schemes.


- On turn 4 we both announced Bodyguard scheme and we run out of the time to play another turn.



Final Score: Levy 8 - Seamus 8

Playing against Mike and not to lose I always consider as a win :)









Round 2

This round I had another Resser master as an opponent - Yan Lo.

Yan Lo - Fortify Spirit, Brutal Khakkhara - 5SS pool
Soul Porter
Izamu the Armor
Valedictorian
Yin
Hans
Bete Noire

Schemes: Entourage (Valedictorian). Second scheme I don't remember but I presume it was Murder Protege on Hannah or Lazarus.

I took:
Levy - Desolate Soul, Tally Sheet, To the Earth Return - 4SS pool
Rusty Alyce
2x Hollow Waif
Lazarus
Hannah
Hodgepodge Effigy
Johana
Abomination

Schemes: Murder Protege (Izamu) and ALITS (both not revealed). If I only knew that Yan Lo would pick the fight I would go for Assassinate instead of ALITS :D

Table:


Quick note - all water was treated as hazardous terrain. When I saw this table I really wished to have Jack Daw, Jaakuna and Drowned in my model collection...

Anyway, time for crews deployment:



My plan was easy - kill Izamu with Levi and push on my left flank avoiding Hans to drop scheme markers for ALITS.

Few highlights from the game:

- Izamu moved closer behind hard cover but Levy was able to to get into position (sacrificing Waif) and fire 3 times at Izamu killing him turn 1, summoning Abomination and earning 2VPs for Murder Protege. Bete decided to unbury now.


- Next turn Levy killed Soul Porter summoning another Abomination. Drawback of this was that Yan Lo had 3 Chi on him so he spent it on Bone Ascendant upgrade. Then he wisely used Hunpo Assault to get between Johana, Alyce and Waif, killing Waif and beating slightly Johana and Alyce. Fate wasn't in my favour as my swings from Johana (flurry) and Alyce either missed inflict minor damages on Yan Lo. Bete killed Abomiantion, Hans killed other Abomination which gave Yan Lo +1VP for strategy.


- Because of Hans, Levy had to be careful with positioning his last Waif and as Yin and Valedictorian started to push on my right flank I decided it is time to support Hannah and Lazarus there.

- On turn 3 Yan Lo got initiative and killed Hodgepodge (again Hunpo Assault) but thankfully barely scratched Johana and Rusty. Johana flurried again and left Yan Lo on last wound. Bete walked and hit Alyce paralazying her. Yin and Valedictiorian moved closer. Levy hurt Yin slightly. No VP's was scored this turn.

- On turn 4 Johana finished Yan Lo and Bete, Levy killed Yin but because Valedictorian hid behind hard cover he couldn't get to him as well. Unfortunately TO announced this is last turn.
Yan Lo got +2VP for Entourage and Levy +1VP for strategy.

Final Score: Levy 3 - Yan Lo 3

If I we played 5th turn I would have won getting extra points for ALITS (Johana and Rusty were ready to drop two scheme markers for ALITS).
But what was worse, my cold was getting its toll...


Round 3

This round I was playing against Zoraida:


Zoraida - Crystall Ball, Hex Bag - 5SS pool
Bad Juju - Eternal Fiend
2x Waldgeist
3x Silurid
Voodoo Doll

Schemes: Outflank and ALITS (both revealed)

I took:
Levy - Desolate Soul, Tally Sheet, To the Earth Return - 5SS pool
Rusty Alyce
2x Hollow Waif
Lazarus
Hodgepodge Effigy
Abomination
Ashes & Dust - Scramble

Schemes: Outflank and ALITS (both revealed)

Table and crews deployment:


Few highlights from the game:

- I decided to play aggressively: on the left flanl Ashes & Dust engaged Waldgeist on turn 1 and beat him severely. On the left flank Levy hurt another Waldgeist.


- Zoraida used Obey twice and Bad Juju moved twice towards Lazarus, charging him during his activation. Brave construct withstood the assault with minor scratch on the armor. Silurids used leap to drop two scheme markers for ALITS and they retreaded into the cover.


- Turn 2 Lazarus swung at Bad Juju hurting him. In retaliation swampfiend flurried but again inflicted minor damages on the construct. A&D killed Waldgeist also summoning Abomination in his place. Silurids tried to get close to the Stash markers so Levy took opportunity and killed one summoning another Abomination. That also prevent Zoraida from getting VP for strategy this turn. Levy started to collect VP's for Strategy




 - Turn 3 Ashes & Dust charged and killed Silurid and Levy killed another one (getting another Abomination on the table)


Brave Lazarus finally was beaten by the Bad Juju, but was soon avenged by Alyce. I steadily started to drop more scheme markers for ALITS.


- Turn 4 was quick - Waldgeist died of Levy, I dropped more scheme markers and removed my opponents markers.Game was basically over by now.



Final Score: Levy 10 - Zoraida 0


I was very happy from the final score but now I was barely thinking and I lost my voice (when finally I got home my wife asked me if I were singing there whole day :D)


Round 4

This round my opponent was Arcanist Mei Feng:

Mei Feng - Arcane Reservoir, Price of Progress - 3SS pool
Mechanical Rider
Joss
Cassandra - Practised Production
2x December Acolyte

Schemes - Plant Evidence and ALITS (both revealed)

I took:

Levy - Desolate Soul, Tally Sheet, To the Earth Return - 5SS pool
Rusty Alyce
2x Hollow Waif
Hannah
Hodgepodge Effigy
Ashes & Dust - Scramble
Void Wretch 

Schemes - Plant Evidence and Outflank (both revealed).

This was the first time I played against Mei and these Arcanist's models so I wasn't sure what to expect from them.

Table:


My opponent put two Acolytes in hard cover straight in my crew face :D

Few highlights from the game:


- Acolytes started to pound Hannah slowing her down. They withstood two shots from Levy and one from Rusty - bruised but alive. Cassandra used her trick with Practised Production placing scheme marker near Acolytes, dropping additional scheme marker near her which was later removed at the end of the turn. 


- Turn 2 Mei's crew flipped two Squatter markers and Cassandra did her trick again. Ashes & Dust dropped scheme marker and charged Cassandra but she survived.



In the meantime Joss engaged two Waifs and Rusty (double walk) and Rider moved closer as well. One Acolyte died and second was on last wound. Mei got +1VP from Strategy.

- Turn 3 A&D killed Cassandra and fipped Squatter's marker, Joss killed two Waifs, Levy killed Acolyte and killed freshly summoned Metal Gamin. Another +1VP point for Mei.

- Turn 4 Hannah and Rusty died. Also Joss didn't survived Levy's wrath. Hodgepodge flipped Squatter's marker and positioned himself for Outflank.
Rider chased after Levy and A&D. Bot crews got +1VP each for Strategy.

- Turn 5 A&D dropped another scheme marker and charged Rider and hurt him. Rider killed A&D and used the trigger to drop two scheme markers.


Then I placed Dust Storm at the centreline on the far side of Hodgepodge which ultimately gave me +3VP for Outflank. Game has ended this turn.

Final Score: Levy 8 - Mei Feng 10

This is when my condition disallow me to calculate VP's correctly...
Next morning, after long sleep, good breakfast and whole lot of coffee I have reviewed my notes and photos from the game and calculated our VP's again.

I had two models at the both flanks for Outflank and I had two scheme markers in contact with different terrains. I also scored +2VP's for Strategy so my grand total was 8VPs.

My opponent had +4VP's for Strartegy and only 5 scheme markers on the centreline which also were in base contact with same piece of terrain (this big building on the picture above). There was no chance for my opponent to max out VP's for both Schemes. I seems that he scored grand total of 8VP's as well (4 strategy + 3 for ALITS (4 markers) + 1 for Plant Evidence (1 marker).
So ultimately it should be my third draw this day :D

Anyway I was really glad (and wrecked...) that I had a chance to get 4 games in one day.
I'd like to thanks to my opponent for great games and big, big thanks to Mike for organising this tournament.

Till next time!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment